muslimgrower.com

Go Back   muslimgrower.com > Growing....palms,cycads,ferns,bamboo

Old 17th December 2016, 12:38 PM
mali

Riz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of light

sorry i am late replying... your pots seem really deep with volume so it cant be that there enough room for the roots.. have you given them any nutrients? what type of soil did you use ?
Old 20th December 2016, 11:12 PM

rafqa is on a distinguished road

pwr_wrx I really can't pinpoint anything-- they were still indoors, and temperature, humidity etc. change as the weather changes, but they'd been doing pretty well right in the same area since I planted them. I never knew how much water to give them; I lost one in a smaller pot from too little, but I tried not to overdo it on the others. I know it's pretty hard to tell what went wrong, remotely-- but does that leaf curl mean anything? It wasn't like a disease, just the leaves curling inward on themselves lengthwise.

Riz they were in somewhat larger terracotta pots by this time, but they'd been doing well in them for several months, grew their second leaves, etc. (although they didn't get further than that). They were transplanted into fresh potting soil, so they should have had enough nutrients for awhile.
Old 21st December 2016, 10:44 AM
mali

Riz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of light

are they receiving enough light ?
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:45 PM

Well, I'm not sure. They'd been in the same general area for quite a while, but I suppose there could be light shifts over the year that would affect them, without my really noticing the change myself. But the ones that had less light actually went later than the ones nearer the window.
Old 24th December 2016, 01:50 PM
mali

are the pots deep enough !? they grow long roots i noticed when i gently took mine out of the seedling pot to check, all the roots were curled around the base of the pot...
Old 30th December 2016, 06:45 AM

There was so little growth on the top, it didn't really occur to me that they might be root bound. They didn't seem at all that way when I transplanted them into the larger pots, but I suppose it's a possibility. Though they stayed healthy such a long time, they never grew more than two leaves each. But I was attached to them, especially the first one to sprout, which had some symbolic value for me; I hated to lose them.
Old 1st January 2017, 04:31 PM
mali

the bigger they get the more sunlight they need. maybe a case of not enough light. so they are healthy but not growing....
Old 5th January 2017, 09:52 AM

Thanks for your input. I think I'll try to start some new ones, and make an effort to get them outside as soon as it's warm enough. I meant to do it last year, but I never got around to it, and they seemed to be doing so well inside... until they croaked. I have to say I'm not very good with indoor plants, and trying to psych out what they need in the way of water and light.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:56 PM
mali

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafqa View Post
Thanks for your input. I think I'll try to start some new ones, and make an effort to get them outside as soon as it's warm enough. I meant to do it last year, but I never got around to it, and they seemed to be doing so well inside... until they croaked. I have to say I'm not very good with indoor plants, and trying to psych out what they need in the way of water and light.
any luck with them rafqa!!?
Old 13th August 2017, 11:48 PM

I just saw this-- I was about to come back and write a post about how I was losing my enthusiasm for date palms. They about broke my heart when they died last year, and I never get more than two leaves. Right now I have six or seven of them going; I had quite a few germinate but I didn't get them all into soil in time, or I would have had more.

Two of them are indoors in plastic beverage cups. They each have one leaf that just keeps growing and growing-- they're about eighteen inches long! I have a couple more indoors that are kind of struggling along. Then I have two that I put outdoors as soon as I planted them. I thought "These will really take off," but no-- one has had maybe a six inch leaf for months, and the other has a much longer leaf, but still only one.

I did move the outdoors ones into a more sheltered location when it got really hot; they get sun, but not direct sun all day. Maybe I should put them back out in full sun, I don't know.

I love them, but they're not paying me off like e.g. an avocado.

Tags
date, date kernel, germination, palm, palm trees